Friday 21 March 2014

Evaluation Question 1


11.  In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My thriller opening uses many forms and conventions that you would see in many real media productions because I wanted to make the sequence seem as real as possible and this meant that more people could relate to it or compare it with other thriller openings. Firstly I wanted to make sure that the whole sequence had a dark tint to it just like you usually get in an action sequence and so I began filming in the evening and so the shots weren’t in broad daylight, that way they look eery and therefore slightly mysterious and creepy. I have two scenes where everything is quiet except from some digetic sounds in shot like the footsteps of a human or the opening of a creepy gate, this seems very real as it is building up the suspense within a particular scene, before the big climax, which would leave people guessing throughout the film. This has been done to attract the specific niche audience.
I have followed the normal conventions when creating my clip apart from one main aspect…my antagonist is a female and not a male. This is challenging the conventions because many people presume the natural stereotype of women is that they are weak and need to be protected  but it could be seen as a good thing. It would probably annoy many people but having a women also means that male gaze will apply and so men probably wouldn’t mind as much just like with Lara Croft. This is called the Laura Mulvey theory.
With all my other conventions like the dark scenes and the creaking gates all genetically follow the normal codes and conventions because this is a typical scenario in a thriller or scary movie, I have just developed these ideas in more depth to create a specific atmosphere to target a researched audience. This also helps with justifying what the genre is. The only thing not included in my opening is propps theory as we aren't introduced to any more than two characters from the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment